Stinging nettle (scientific name Urtica diocia) is a flowering plant that’s beneficial for those looking to avoid seasonal allergies. The anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory properties of stinging nettle make it an excellent anti-allergy herb.
The best way to control seasonal allergies is to start consuming stinging nettle a couple of months before allergy season.
Stinging nettle has a long history of being used for medicine, food, and fiber. It originated in the colder regions of Europe and Asia. However, these days the plant can be found all over the world.
The most popular ways to consume stinging nettle are:
- By infusing it in hot water and drinking it the way you drink tea.
- Nettle capsules, which are available online or in herbal or health food stores.
- As a tincture by diluting it in water.
- Nettle juice, which is available in herbal or health food stores or online. You can also make this juice at home.
- Getting creative with recipes such as stinging nettle soup or stinging nettle omelette.
The best way to prevent seasonal allergies is to drink two cups of nettle tea every day for two months before the season begins. This should help in building up immunity during the allergy season.
As with all herbal medicines, it is advisable to consult a doctor before deciding to take nettle for avoiding allergies.
Stinging nettle is one of the many natural ways to counter allergies. To know more, please read our article on Natural Remedies for Seasonal Allergies.