Marjoram, a member of the mint family, is considered as a cousin of the widely-used Oregano. It is available in different forms, such as essential oils, dried leaves and powder. This traditional Mediterranean herb has been used since ancient times for its numerous health benefits.
- Lowers Blood Sugar: It is one of the several amazing herbs that help in lowering blood sugar. It reduces the formation of Advanced Glycation End, a group of compounds, that are responsible for a lot of complications faced by diabetics.
- Improves the Digestive System: Marjoram tea increases the digestive enzymes in the digestive tract. This results in faster digestion. Consuming this tea can also help in managing constipation.
- Protects against Common Diseases: Its tea can also help in fighting food poisoning. The herb also has antibacterial and antiviral properties, which help in fighting illnesses like cold, fevers, headache, etc.
- Good for the Heart: Marjoram enhances the functioning of the cardiovascular system. It is good for blood circulation and also helps in lowering blood pressure, thus reducing the risk of hypertension. It also prevents the hardening of arteries by reducing the build-up of cholesterol in blood vessels.
- Removes Toxins from the Body: Marjoram oil is a diaphoretic, which means that it induces perspiration or sweating. This keeps the body healthy by removing harmful toxins and excessive sodium. The oil is also a diuretic, and thus increases the amount of urine passed from the body. This helps in removing uric acid, lowering blood pressure, cleansing the kidneys and reducing fat content in the body.
- Helps in Coping up with Stress and Anxiety The usage of marjoram oil is popular in aromatherapy as it relaxes the body. Apart from inhaling it, you can also rub it on the feet or body. It is also useful for getting relief from insomnia and dealing with stress and anxiety.