Oil pulling is an ancient ayurvedic remedy where you hold a tablespoon of virgin coconut or sesame oil in your mouth for 10 to 15 minutes and swish it around, before spitting it out.. This technique has tremendous benefits, to know about them, please check our article on the 6 immediate benefits of oil pulling. Here we look at the benefit oil pulling has on Insomnia.
Insomnia, in general, is a condition that is generally treated medically with sedatives or valerian root as a herbal alternative.
Insomnia is caused by stress and hormone imbalance. Oil pulling helps clear out all the toxins that have accumulated in your body from the stressors and imbalanced hormones, creating a fresh, clean environment that helps you sleep much better at night.
If headaches and sinuses are what keep you awake at night, oil pulling, helps clear them both, giving you some nice, restful sleep.
The best way to get optimum results is to use organic cold-pressed coconut or sesame oil. You could use sunflower or macadamia oil as well, provided you make sure it’s organic and free of toxins.
Oil pulling is most effective if you do it before brushing your teeth on an empty stomach once you wake up in the morning for about 15 mins. If you are targeting to cure insomnia specifically, then you could consider doing it twice in a day. The swished oil is full of toxins. So be sure to rinse your mouth and brush your teeth after you spit out the oil. A lot of people have reported that they sleep better after adopting this technique, some even use it primarily for this purpose.
Losing sleep? Maybe it’s time to start oil pulling.
1) Singh,J; Oil Pulling Benefits & Side Effects; Ayur Times. 2015 May, 12: https://www.ayurtimes.com/oil-pulling-benefits-side-effects/
3) Tash; Oil Pulling, One Month Results;Holistic Health Herbalist. No Date: http://www.holistichealthherbalist.com/oil-pulling-one-month-results/
4) Transform your health with coconut oil pulling;The Alternative Daily. No Date: http://www.thealternativedaily.com/transform-health-coconut-oil-pulling/
5) Study on Chronic Insomnia and Stress System https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2128619/
6) Sleep Foundation: Menopause and Insomnia https://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/menopause-and-insomnia
7) Best Health Magazine: Home Remedies http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-you/home-remedies/valerian-root-what-to-know-about-this-herbal-sleep-aid/